WeHo Pickup Line is Back On – The Sunset Trip Trolley is Cut Off

643
Photo provided courtesy of the City of West Hollywood. WeHo PuckUp Line photo by Jonathan Moore - Sunset Trip Photo by Jon Viscott

“I’m happy to report the WeHo PickUp, the city’s free shuttle, will resume service this Friday, October the 8th,” said acting City Manager, Oscar Delgado, to the West Hollywood City Council during his Staff report at a Regular City Council Meeting last night. “The shuttles will run Fridays and Saturdays from 8pm to 3am and on Sundays from 2pm to 10pm. The shuttles will be limited to 50 percent occupancy, masks will be required and the shuttle windows will remain open.”

The WeHo PickUp is back on, but that’s not the case for the Sunset Trip trolley. The free shuttle service program that ran on Sunset Boulevard, from Doheny Drive, to Fairfax Avenue, was discontinued due to COVID-19 budget cuts last year. According to Francisco Gomez, the Transportation Program Administrator in West Hollywood’s social services department, “Funding was not restored this year and now there are no plans to bring it back.”

- Paid Advertisement -
Photo provided courtesy of the City of West Hollywood. Photo credit: Jon Viscott

The city of West Hollywood launched the Sunset Trip in the summer of 2018. The shiny black trolley on Sunset Boulevard was a complete contrast to the brightly colored trolley on Santa Monica Boulevard.

The Sunset Trip website has been taken down, but Gomez says it may come back in the future if the budget situation changes and if there is demand from the public for a free trolly service on The Sunset Strip.

As of the publishing of this piece, the WeHo PickUp line website still currently states a special notice that “Due to COVID-19, and out of an abundance of caution, the City of West Hollywood’s free shuttle services, The Pickup (Santa Monica Boulevard) and The Sunset Trip (Sunset Boulevard, Doheny Drive, and Fairfax Avenue) will temporarily cease operation until further notice.”

WeHo Pickup photo provided courtesy of the City of West Hollywood. Photo credit: Jonathan Moore

The PickUp Line project was initiated by council member John D’Amico and former council member John Duran. It makes a six-mile long loop with stops every two to three blocks along Santa Monica Boulevard between Robertson and La Brea. It had a soft launch on August 9, 2013, with an officially launch on Friday, August 16, 2013.

For more more information, contact Francisco Gomez 323-848-6454.

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Previous articleWieners & Booze – It Appears Tail O’ The Pup (Bar) is Coming to WeHo
Next article‘West Hollywood Responds’ Program Encourages Donations for OC Oil Spill Cleanup
Subscribe
Notify of
guest
1 Comment
newest
oldest most voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
Scott
Scott
16 days ago

The Sunset Trip trolleys should shuttle all the homeless to shelters downtown!