The City of West Hollywood is offering a limited supply of free sand-filled sandbags to West Hollywood residents and businesses as heavy rains fall throughout Southern California.
- Sandbags are available for Pickup at 7317 Romaine Street by appointment on weekdays 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.; availability is limited to 10 sandbags per resident or business while supplies last.
- During Heavy Rain and Cold Temperatures, Stay Informed: Subscribe to ‘Alert LA County’ emergency notifications by email or text message https://ready.lacounty.gov/alerts.
- Subscribe to Nixle Public Safety Alerts by texting your ZIP Code to 888-777.
National Weather Service is predicting a significant storm system with a blizzard warning. Beginning in the evening on Thursday, February 23, 2023 a flood watch will be in effect and is expected to last until late Saturday, February 25, 2023. As much as five inches of rain is expected. The City of West Hollywood is providing sandbags to help residents and businesses direct flowing water away from structures.
Free sandbags are limited to 10 per resident or business while supplies last. They are available for pick-up by appointment at the City of West Hollywood’s Operations Center, located at 7317 Romaine Street. Residents and business owners may call (323) 848-6879 or send an email message to [email protected] – or alternatively may call (323) 848-6591 or send an email to [email protected] – to schedule an appointment to pick up sandbags on Thursday or Friday from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. For people who are Deaf or hard of hearing, please call TTY (323) 848-6496.
Please note, there are no weekend pick-ups scheduled at this time and sandbags are available only while supplies last. Sandbag pick-up may be extended into early next week if weather requires and supplies are available.
During heavy rains and cold temperatures, stay prepared:
- Keep emergency supplies, such as a flashlight, water, food, a first-aid kit, portable radio, and extra batteries on-hand and easily accessible.
- Clear all drains and rain gutters on your property and dispose of all trash and yard trimmings properly to avoid blocking drains.
- Know how to turn off utilities.
- Monitor forecasts to be aware of weather that may impact the area.
- Subscribe to receive Alert LA County emergency notifications by email or text message by signing up at https://ready.lacounty.gov/alerts and subscribe to Nixle public safety alerts by texting your ZIP code to 888-777.
As a reminder, driving in rain, whether a drizzle or a heavy downpour, can be dangerous. Rainy conditions are directly associated with higher accident rates. Adjust your driving style for wet roads and reduced visibility. The following tips will help ensure driving safely during rainy days: slow down; turn on headlights; use windshield wipers; maintain a safe distance; avoid heavy braking; watch for standing water; let off the accelerator when hydroplaning; and ventilate your car during rain.
To report storm-related issues in the City of West Hollywood, call (323) 848-6375. For more information about structural damage or potential hillside slope movement, please contact the City’s Building and Safety Division at (323) 848-6320. Report gas leaks or damage to the Southern California Gas Company by calling (800) 427-2200. To report a power outage, call Southern California Edison at (800) 611-1911. Report downed power lines or other emergencies by calling 911.