The City Council of the City of West Hollywood approved direction, at its regular meeting on Monday, December 20, 2021, to increase the number of Block by Block Security Ambassadors in the City’s business districts during the holiday season to promote enhanced community safety as additional residents and visitors patronize the City’s commercial areas. Block by Block “Holiday Safety Ambassadors” will have an expanded presence from Tuesday, December 21, 2021 through Monday, January 3, 2022.
The City of West Hollywood and the West Hollywood Station of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department are suggesting the following safety tips:
- Stay Alert – Remain aware of your surroundings and stay attentive.
- Be Vigilant – Take proactive precautions that reduce your risk.
- Take Action – If you see something, say something. In an emergency, always call 911.
Everyone in the City of West Hollywood can take part in working together to ensure public safety by following additional tips:
- Remain Attentive – Do not become complacent. Always remember that anyone can become a victim of crime, anytime or anywhere.
- Show Confidence – Walk, stand, talk, and carry yourself to demonstrate that you’re alert and aware of your surroundings to show that you’re not an easy target.
- Walk with Awareness – It’s always safer to walk with others. Choose well-lit areas, keep an arm’s length away from strangers, and walk near curbs instead of near shrubs and areas that cannot be seen.
- Trust Your Gut – Gut feelings or intuition can be one of your best allies in self-protection. Trust your feelings when you’re in a situation that doesn’t feel right.
- Drink in Moderation and Make a Safety Plan – If consuming alcohol, consider a safety plan that includes buddying-up and looking out for one another, leaving valuables at home, and establishing a designated driver or ride share plans before heading out.
The City of West Hollywood contracts with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department for law enforcement services and the Los Angeles County Fire Department for fire protection services. Additionally, the City partners with Block by Block on its Security Ambassador program, which has a direct positive impact on safety and neighborhood livability, as well as PACWEST Security Services for enhanced security in parks and certain City locations.
The West Hollywood Block by Block Security Ambassador program provides a highly visible uniformed presence at the street level. Block by Block Security Ambassadors are deployed on bicycles along major streets, alleys, City parking lots, and residential neighborhoods, and leverage the effectiveness of local law enforcement by working in collaboration with the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station. In addition to supplemental safety services, Block by Block Security Ambassadors also get to know West Hollywood’s neighborhoods and assist in providing an extra level of hospitality to visitors and help to address quality of life concerns in the community.
The City and the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station urge anyone in the community with public safety concerns to reach out to the Sheriff’s Station 24/7 at (310) 855-8850. The Block by Block Security Ambassador Hotline provides access to free, 24/7 support by phone or text at (323) 821-8604. In an emergency, always call 911.
The City of West Hollywood’s Public Safety website area provides personal safety tips. For crime prevention, personal safety, and robbery prevention tips, please visit: www.weho.org/services/public-