Take an Eclectic WeHo walking tour of architecture in the neighborhood surrounding West Hollywood’s Plummer Park as part of West Hollywood annual Historic Preservation Celebration. The city and its Preservation Commission will celebrate the diverse architecture that makes the City of West Hollywood so eclectic.
The event will take place on Monday, June 25, 2018 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Plummer Park’s Fiesta Hall, located at 7377 Santa Monica Boulevard. It will include a reception and presentation, followed by the Eclectic WeHo walking tour. Attendees will have an opportunity to learn more about how historic properties are rehabilitated for modern life as the City of West Hollywood advances the City’s Mills Act program for the next generation of preservation. Admission to the event is free and open to the public; refreshments will be served.
Plummer Park is located on the eastern side of the city. The east side of West Hollywood is dominated by Russian immigrants, and the park is a popular gathering place for Russians.
In 1874, Col. Eugenio Plummer acquired official title to 160 acres from Señora Francisca Perez, who had occupied this land under preemption law in 1869. Plummer Park and Plummer House were acquired by Los Angeles County from Señor Plummer in 1937 for $15,000. The Los Angeles Audubon Society (LAAS) has been headquartered in Plummer House since then and (in 1983) moved into another building in Plummer Park (Great Hall Long Hall) which was originally constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1937. In May 2011 the Audubon Society was given notice to leave by the city of West Hollywood who are planning to demolish the building in 2012 and create underground parking as part of a controversial plan to create a modern park. A group of residents called Protect Plummer Park was organized in early 2011 to preserve the historic Plummer Park.
Plummer Park and Plummer House (which was built in 1870 and moved to the Leonis Adobe grounds in Calabasas in 1983) have been designated a State Historic Landmark by the State of California in 1956.
The City of West Hollywood, which was incorporated in 1984, recognizes and values the importance of preserving its cultural resources. The City’s Current and Historic Preservation Planning Division works with the City’s Historic Preservation Commission to identify and protect historic resources in West Hollywood. The City adopted an Historic Preservation Ordinance in 1989 and it has designated a total of 88 buildings as historic and cultural resources. For more information about the City of West Hollywood’s historic preservation efforts, please visit the City’s Historic Preservation website at www.wehopreservation.org.
For additional information about the Annual Historic Preservation Celebration’s Eclectic Weho Tour or about historic preservation efforts in the City of West Hollywood, please contact Antonio Castillo, Associate Planner, at (323) 848-6854 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.