- Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    HomeNewsSoHo House West Hollywood is Being Sued for Racial Discrimination

SoHo House West Hollywood is Being Sued for Racial Discrimination

Renowned celebrity haunt in West Hollywood, SoHo House, is facing legal action from a former employee who alleges racial discrimination, wrongful termination, retaliation, and a failure to prevent discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Eduardo Rodriguez, the plaintiff, filed the lawsuit in Santa Monica Superior Court on September 15, seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages.

KNX News reports that Rodriguez, who worked as a back server at the Malibu location since March 2018, before being transferred to the West Hollywood branch the following year, claims he was denied promotions and ultimately terminated in March after raising concerns about racial discrimination within the establishment.

According to Rodriguez’s lawsuit, his duties included maintaining bar areas, clearing empty dishware, and restocking bar supplies. In May 2022, he expressed his desire for promotions, specifically seeking a server position. However, management informed him that he needed to work as a food runner or back server, positions he had already held previously.

The lawsuit contends that during the same period, non-Latino employees were promoted to server positions without fulfilling the purported prerequisites of having previously worked as food runners or back servers. Rodriguez’s suit also alleges that other Latino and non-white employees were similarly denied promotions to server roles.

Rodriguez also claims that the general manager of the restaurant made derogatory remarks about Latinos, including the statement that “Mexicans are too problematic.” The suit asserts that this same manager shielded non-Latino workers from consequences for their mistakes.

In January, Rodriguez met with a manager to voice his concerns about the alleged discrimination within SoHo House. He pointed out that immigrant employees were consistently assigned to the kitchen’s rear, and new hires were rarely of Latino descent. However, according to the lawsuit, the manager took no meaningful action to address Rodriguez’s complaints.

In the same month, Rodriguez applied for a server promotion once more but was rejected in February. He believed this rejection was a result of SoHo House’s reluctance to promote non-white employees to “client-facing” positions.

Rodriguez submitted another application for a server position in March, but within a week, he was falsely accused of consuming restaurant coffee and criticized for accidentally dropping a glass, a common occurrence in restaurant settings. Both incidents were cited as grounds for his termination on March 20.

Rodriguez contends that his race and retaliation for his discrimination complaints were the actual reasons for his dismissal, resulting in lost earnings and emotional distress.

5 2 votes
    Paulo Murillo
    Paulo Murillohttps://wehotimes.com
    Paulo Murillo is Editor in Chief and Publisher of WEHO TIMES. He brings over 20 years of experience as a columnist, reporter, and photo journalist. Murillo began his professional writing career as the author of “Love Ya, Mean It,” an irreverent and sometimes controversial West Hollywood lifestyle column for FAB! newspaper. His work has appeared in numerous print and online publications, which include the “Hot Topic” column in Frontiers magazine, where he covered breaking news and local events in West Hollywood. He can be reached at [email protected]

18 COMMENTS

18 Comments: We Want to Hear from You!
    John R
    John R
    1 month ago

I’ve interviewed there and been serving for 9+ years and the manager didn’t even looked at me. He seemed annoyed I was taking up his time.

Kiss it
    Kiss it
    2 months ago

Well he was probably good at the job he was doing so the management wants to keep him in that position ..and as new applicants for applying for Server jobs they were placed in those positions that’s all ..there’s nothing discriminating about this at all. If someone is good at what they’re doing they’re going to keep them in that role.. Also the race card was like seven years ago, and then of course we all remember the bully card, and then now it’s the tranz card and non-binary card but that’s being phased out ..the pinnacle of that was… Read more »

Edd
    Edd
    Reply to  Kiss it
    1 month ago

The problem is he didn’t get promoted to better pay position because he is doing very good job and he’s position and not getting the opportunity to grow because of the stereotypes of Latin American immigrants who can only work on cleaning jobs.

matt deifel
    matt deifel
    2 months ago

racial discrimination is such the go for someone being fired. he was prob a lazy employee. im white and sure wish I could pull the race card

Edd
    Edd
    Reply to  matt deifel
    2 months ago

It’s easy to said lazy employees when you have ALL the WHITE PRIVILEGES.

Joe Bologna
    Joe Bologna
    2 months ago

Yawn. Sounds like sour grapes and envy of the skilled workers. That makes him waycist.

Outraged
    Outraged
    2 months ago

Very glad to see him standing up for himself. We all know these “super-trendy” elitist spots are guilty of all kinds of illegal favoritism, arrogant flauting of the law, and 1950’s-style racism, sexism, homophobia, fat-shaming, double-standards, and management-by-politics. We’ve known for a long time that this “private club” is just a dog whistle for “we are above the law”. Dropping a glass?? I hope they pay out the ass. But they have the money to do it, and it won’t stop. It won’t. They need to be shut down completely and throwback places like this eradicated. The Elite in LA… Read more »

Natasha
    Natasha
    Reply to  Outraged
    2 months ago

You seem like a very bitter person. You’re probably one of these GIVE ME everything for nothing UNITE supporters. There are 2 sides to every story. If his story is accurate then hopefully he’ll prevail. If his story is filled with holes and lies then he should lose his case. I am always suspicious of people who paint things with a broad brush with no proof to back anything up.

Weho artist
    Weho artist
    Reply to  Natasha
    2 months ago

You seem like a very bitter person”

Oh, the irony.

Natasha
    Natasha
    Reply to  Weho artist
    2 months ago

Did you sign up yet for JRF?

Weho artist
    Weho artist
    Reply to  Natasha
    2 months ago

Why won’t you tell us what gym is “extremely clean and well maintained” and is only $25/month?

Maybe because you are a liar 🙂

Natasha
    Natasha
    Reply to  Weho artist
    2 months ago

Golds Gym. Do you feel better now? Guess who owns the Golds Gym brand? That’s right the same people who own JRF. I actually pay less than $25/month but that’s because I have been a member for so long.

Weho artist
    Weho artist
    Reply to  Natasha
    2 months ago

I’m glad you like it there! I would think you’d be happy about JRF and the Beverly Center Gold’s opening soon. Gold’s on Cole ave is WAY too crowded. I’m not into waiting 30 min for the pec deck or squat rack. I don’t have 4 hours to spend at the gym.

Natasha
    Natasha
    Reply to  Weho artist
    2 months ago

Yes, I am very happy about the Beverly Center Gold’s even though I’ll have to buy a second Golds membership. It will be worth every penny since I can walk there. I actually hope it’s somewhat pricy so it doesn’t get too crowded. I don’t disagree with you about the crowd on Cole. There are too many members and it can be challenging to get on equipment like the pec deck or squat rack.

Edd
    Edd
    Reply to  Natasha
    2 months ago

As a Latino-Jewish immigrant I can said you are part of those RASIST because in Soho House you can only get a good position be white or eastern European.
    I know Graham and he is anti-Semita a Mormon who hates Jewish and Jewish holidays especially Hanukkah.

Natasha
    Natasha
    Reply to  Edd
    2 months ago

Edd.. I simply said if he has a good case then I hope he prevails. That being said we were not there and there are two sides to every story. I don’t like Soho House so I can’t speak to their hiring policies. I also don’t appreciate being called a racist. I have a hard time believing you are a Latino-Jew. Almost every Latino-Jew that I know (and I know many) speaks better English and wouldn’t misspell so many words.

Edd
    Edd
    Reply to  Natasha
    1 month ago

It’s so RASIST and antisemitism said I have to write perfect English to be Latino-Jewish

Sally
    Sally
    Reply to  Outraged
    1 month ago

What is being said about hiring only white servers could not be further from the truth . I was out at one of their West Coast locations only yesterday and I would say 99.9% of servers on the floor were Latina …all of whom were doing a great job in a very busy location