- Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    HomeNewsQ&A - West Hollywood Mayor John M. Erickson Discusses Re-Election Campaign for...

Q&A – West Hollywood Mayor John M. Erickson Discusses Re-Election Campaign for City Council

West Hollywood Mayor John M. Erickson, Ph.D. officially announced his re-election campaign for West Hollywood City Council today. WeHo Times caught up with the incumbent following his big announcement to discuss his campaign, some of his accomplishments from his first term and the challenges he faces ahead.

===

So it’s official today. You announced your run for reelection.

Yes. I announced this morning I’m running for re-election to the West Hollywood City Council.

What is running for re-election looking like for you?

It looks like what I’ve been doing for the last four years, delivering for our residents and our businesses. When I look at the city and where I started four years ago, back then, we weren’t allowed to go outside. We were in masks, and now we are out in a vibrant, although a little gray and overcast today, sky. We have new businesses opening every day. We have residents that are further protected, thanks to some of the tenant harassment ordinances that we’ve passed. And we’re working on bringing the city into the future with new infrastructure and great new projects like the coast Playhouse and the purchasing of the Log Cabin on Robertson Boulevard. These things that are priorities to me and always have been, so the work that we’re doing continues on. My re-election ensures that the residents and businesses remain at the forefront of my mind, and I am committed to running strongly to ensure that we prioritize their needs.

Pandemic lockdown aside, how else is this campaign different from the last one?

I mean, the last time I ran, I ran a people forward campaign. It was a people centric campaign that really focused on bringing a new voice to the City of West Hollywood. And this time, it’s about holding true to those values that I ran on. I think the stuff that I’ve done over the last four years and also just the sheer logistics this time, we can go door-to-door, we can go out and see each other, and be within six feet, so making sure that the community feel we are back and are part of the campaign. That’s something I love so much.

What kind of feedback are you getting after people learned you were running for re-election?

I’ve announced it early. I’m really proud to say I am endorsed by over, I believe, 70 board members and commissioners. I’m endorsed by almost every elected official that represents West Hollywood and some are Congress member Adam Schiff, supervisor Lindsey Horvath, Senator Ben Allen, Assemblymember Rick Chavez, and my colleagues Vice Mayor Chelsea Byers and Councilmember Sepi Shine. When you look at the list, it’s a broad coalition of supporters and organizations already. I’m endorsed by Equality California, Victory Fund, The Los Angeles Building Trades Council, the Sierra Club, and the Los Angeles League of Conservation Voters. A lot of people jumped in early because they see the progress that we’ve made, and I’m really excited to see the momentum going forward.

What kind of challenges does your campaign anticipate?

I think the main topic of conversation will be what the future of the City of West Hollywood looks like, and I really welcome those conversations. I’m going to be running a positive campaign like I always did. I’m not going to be getting into the mud because I believe that residents want a positive mayor and a positive candidate out there putting forth a vision of the city that not only shows our progressive values, and our history, but also leans us towards the future in the way that we’ve been going. Is everything sunshine and rainbows? No candidate should ever say that. But we have work to do, and I’m really looking forward to that work and in those robust conversations.

What are some of the issues that are coming up for you, in this this election versus your first run?

This time it’s about building more affordable housing and housing, as a whole. We have a lot of housing to build and transportation infrastructure. We’re trying to bring the city into the 21st century when it comes to our roads and sidewalks and making sure that they’re accessible to everyone, and getting people out of cars and maybe onto bikes are another mode of transit. Walking is another great example. I think the last and most important thing that I said when I first ran was climate change. I’ve really made that a staple of my campaign, sustainability practices and climate resilience and I have that record to back it up. That’s why I’ve already received endorsements from the two leading organizations in that field. And we have a lot of work to continue to make sure West Hollywood leads on those issues. Then I think when we always invest in community safety and our businesses, you can’t go wrong there.

How is your campaign addressing public safety?

As many know, I led the charge to bring back two deputies after hearing the response from the community and making sure that our people felt safe. The first call we always get is always going to be about community safety. We need to make sure we’re responsible to that and so we’re building and pushing forward a robust public safety plan. I’m already endorsed by the firefighters and that’s really important to me, because they are our first responders. We’re building a new state-of-the-art Fire and Sheriff Station in partnership with LA County so that first responders have 21st-century tools to ensure that our diverse community is safe at home and in our neighborhoods.

So what do you tell the voter who isn’t sure about you?

I would ask them to look at my work ethic, and look at the work that I have done, and look at my response to the community. When you email City Hall, do you not get an email back? Do you not get a phone call back? What I say to the voter that’s unsure is that I’ve led the City with distinction and I’ve led the city with, I believe, the honor that I’ve always been taught by my former mentors. I’m looking forward to continuing that and making sure that the people of the City of West Hollywood know that they’re my first priority.

How will your campaign address your detractors?

There’s always going to be detractors. I would say that even my detractors would say that I answer the phone when they call. I don’t think anyone can ever say that I don’t welcome a robust conversation. I have very strong values and morals. I’m really proud of that. My grandmother taught me those things when as a young queer kid in Ripon, Wisconsin. I think the most important thing that I can say to my detractors is, you may not like what I’ve done, or you may not like what we’re trying to do as a city, but I want you to come and talk to me and give it a chance. If after that, you still don’t want to be involved in the conversation, you can always call me if something’s happening because I’m there for you just as I’m there for everyone else.

What do you love most about being Mayor and council member of the City of West Hollywood?

The best part about being the mayor and the council member in the City of West Hollywood is you get to see and interact with people on a person-to-person basis in a way that we all work together for a better future for our city. When the principal of West Hollywood Elementary School can call the mayor directly and not have to go through staff, when a resident can call, or a parent at a school can call the Mayor of West Hollywood and say they’re having this issue, or need more green space, or they want to have pickleball courts in the city… my answer is going to be yes, because that’s the role of our local government. Local is where community happens. And I’m so proud of that. This is why I post my Plummer Park event for the last 34 months now without missing a single one. The community needs to know that we’re out at a school, or we’re out in the streets, or their businesses. The mayor is listening and I think that’s the best part of being here, we get to hear right from the community.

===

For a full list of endorsements, biography, issues, and more visit www.erickson4weho.org and follow John on social media @JohnEricksonWH.

To read about John’s accomplishments in his first term, go to: https://erickson4weho.com/about-john

3.7 9 votes
    Paulo Murillo
    Paulo Murillohttps://wehotimes.com
    Paulo Murillo is Editor in Chief and Publisher of WEHO TIMES. He brings over 20 years of experience as a columnist, reporter, and photo journalist. Murillo began his professional writing career as the author of “Love Ya, Mean It,” an irreverent and sometimes controversial West Hollywood lifestyle column for FAB! newspaper. His work has appeared in numerous print and online publications, which include the “Hot Topic” column in Frontiers magazine, where he covered breaking news and local events in West Hollywood. He can be reached at [email protected]

29 COMMENTS

29 Comments: We Want to Hear from You!
    Natasha
    Natasha
    1 month ago

Can someone smart with good common sense please run? Someone who understands how to create jobs and how to help businesses thrive in Weho. Someone who will listen and study ALL of the issues affecting our city carefully before making a final decision. Someone who cares about public safety for all residents of the city. Someone who understands responsible development and long term planning. It is sorely missing right now on the city council. Most of these people are not qualified to be making decisions about running our city. John’s degrees are in religion and women’s studies. How did those… Read more »

voter
    voter
    1 month ago

John Erickson has been on the wrong side of every council vote and decision that has mattered to me.

I pray that he disappears after he loses the upcoming election.

Don Jones
    Don Jones
    1 month ago

I will vote for almost anyone other than Mayor Ph.D.

Do Not Try To Gaslight Me
    Do Not Try To Gaslight Me
    1 month ago

He ran a positive campaign? I guess he is hoping that we have forgotten the way he smeared Lauren Meister the last time he ran against her! He talks a good game, but it’s all ego and narcissism! He is one of the phoniest people I’ve ever met. His hyperbole in his campaign announcement is astonishing! I love how he talked about his “remarkable” accomplishments! That made me laugh!
    I didn’t vote for him last time, and I won’t vote for him this time. I also will be voting for George Nickle!

Reply to  Do Not Try To Gaslight Me
    1 month ago

Oh my God! Who is gaslighting who here? John Erickson never ran against Lauren Meister. You want to talk about phony? Get your fake facts strait. You make me laugh.

weho-race
    Call it out
    Call it out
    Reply to  Veto
    1 month ago

correct- he did not run against her. He did not campaign for her and Nickle has all the warmth and sincerity of the MAGA crowd he runs in

Kevin
    Kevin
    Reply to  Do Not Try To Gaslight Me
    1 month ago

So what you are saying is that he is a politician.

OOPS!
    OOPS!
    Reply to  Do Not Try To Gaslight Me
    1 month ago

You are right. He did not run against her. My mistake. I just have seen how rude and smarmy he always is to her during the city council meetings, and I projected it on the campaign incorrectly. It was the flyers on behalf of Byers, Wright, etc. that smeared her.

Last edited 1 month ago by OOPS!
    sam
    sam
    1 month ago

I wish him luck as I do any other that seeks public office. I cannot endorse him though seeing as Sepi Shyne and Chelsea Byers are. The three of them have continuously put there own agendas first rather than listening to the majority of concerned citizens. The latest city council meeting showed these three city council members forget their own policies they had set at the previous meeting with regards to no city council member to be included as representatives to Paris’ Olympic Pride House. Flaunting a letter that invited him and city council to an event that he stated… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by sam
    Reply to  sam
    1 month ago

You make some interesting points. You also either don’t know or you are deliberately leaving out the part where John Heilman also approved his trip to France. That means four out of the five voted yes and not just the three. I hate it when they lie.

sam
    sam
    Reply to  Veto
    1 month ago

I forgot that John Heilman had also forgotten his decision to not include any city council member attending the trip to France! My apologies on that. Lauren Meister was the only one that brought up the issue what they had just agreed upon on March 18th.

Enough!
    Enough!
    1 month ago

Not getting my vote. VOTE GEORGE NICKLE.

Reply to  Enough!
    1 month ago

Nickle seems like a nice man, but he has the personality of a paper plate with his ill fitting suits. He is dull. The thought of him being mayor, and representing the city and showing up for photo ops are no bueno as Manny would say. You should wait and see who else throws their name in the hat.

P S
    P S
    Reply to  Veto
    1 month ago

This is an election for City Council, not high school student council. Stick to the issues, not the outfits.

Bastian
    Bastian
    1 month ago

I led the charge to bring back two deputies”

Which wouldn’t have been necessary if you didn’t vote to cut 4 deputies after Annie’s Oscar worthy performance.

:dpb
    :dpb
    1 month ago

No. No way I will vote for Erickson.

1 month ago

Erickson has not responded to any of my emails for over two years, but personal insult aside, his unwillingness to engage resulted in an important initiative protecting migrant massage workers in West Hollywood being neglected and ultimately abandoned after I spent years initiating and advocating for the item. Let’s not forget Erickson also knowingly violated constituents first amendment rights numerous times via blocking or deleting comments in his official platforms, and only ceased after the City Attorney got involved. More recently, it was confirmed to me that Erickson has smeared me to City Officials. One can only imagine how he… Read more »

Reply to  West
    1 month ago

I wouldn’t respond to the town loon either. Did you not create those crazy cartoon videos making outlandish allegations which resulted in his life being threatened? Yeah that was you.

Reply to  Veto
    1 month ago

I made political cartoons criticizing Erickson’s economic policies. Tyrants always attack the artists first. I’ve also made political cartoons critical of Lauren Meister in the past, yet she has consistently displayed the character to engage in dialogue with me and others that may disagree with her on some issues. Whatever threats to his safety Erickson may have received, which I am unfamiliar with, are deplorable and have nothing to do with me. Rather I’ve been one of the loudest voices consistently decrying political violence, violence that Sepi and Erickson have ignored and even normalized. As for the allegations that his… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by West
    Reply to  West
    1 month ago

I hate it when they lie. Your attacks on Erickson were vicious and personal. You went easy on Meister.

I hate it when they lie. Now you’re saying Erickson is complicit in crimes against children? Like I said before. Town loon. Or I should say Wehoville loon.

Reply to  Veto
    1 month ago

I still don’t know who you are or your level of familiarity with my work, but I responded to your comment at the bottom of the thread.

Kevin
    Kevin
    Reply to  West
    1 month ago

I am sure he responded to them, but not to you, but to the proper authorities.

Reply to  Kevin
    1 month ago

When political violence broke out on City grounds and the video went viral around the world; Erickson did nothing. In fact, after ignoring my calls for action for months, the organization where he serves as double board President actually platformed the people that were involved in the assault! Besides the insult to the victim, this suggests collusion to deflect from his irresponsibility as a “public servant” in Weho. And no, Erickson has not nor will he likely ever call for an investigation into his mentor for serious crimes against children. His reputation and status in the political machine are his… Read more »

Reply to  West
    1 month ago

I hate it when they lie. You gave a platform to a right wing anti trans terrorist. Hank Scott explicitly spoke out against you. It resulted in the death of Wehoville and what little integrity it had left.

I hate it when they lie. That video you mention did not go viral around the world. Quit lying.

I hate it when they lie. You speak of being slandered, but what do you call linking the mayor to the abuse of children? Like I said before. Town loon.

Reply to  Veto
    1 month ago

Hi veto, just curious who you are- have we met and how might you know about my work? Using your name would lend a lot more credence to your accusation, how are we to know you aren’t someone from City Hall or working in Erickson’s campaign? To your points though, the video of a peaceful activist being violently assaulted amassed millions of views and made numerous national publications. And yet the City failed to respond until those involved with the assault were arrested, wherein Sepi and John decried their arrest rather than the assault that preceded it. It is important… Read more »

Weho artist
    Weho artist
    Reply to  West
    1 month ago

It’s quite obvious your recent path embracing alt-right conspiracies and Russian propaganda has caused some serious paranoia. The people aware of your insane antics are not all employees at City Hall. There are many of us that are just plain citizens of West Hollywood. We see your comments online, your bizarre picnic ads, your public remarks at city council meetings etc. You are a well known looney tune – among the ranks of Annie Jump Vicente and her ilk. I know thats not what you want to hear because you probably think you’re doing noble work- but you’re not. We… Read more »

Reply to  Weho artist
    1 month ago

Feel free to be more specific about alt right conspiracy theories and Russian propaganda you are accusing me of. I don’t think Annie and I are really cut from the same cloth, to be honest. I’m an on-air radio journalist, published policy researcher, and have led numerous campaigns and non-profits. I’ve always delivered my comments at Council with articulation and clarity, even if one disagrees with the content. I think most people are thoroughly exhausted with attempts to dismiss valid critique as “looney” by anon posters on this platform and mainstream media alike. As for my work with Free Weho,… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by West
    Reply to  West
    1 month ago

You have no credibility in the court of public opinion. You’re a twister of the truth and gaslight any chance you get with things like claiming RFK Jr is the most popular Independent presidential candidate in our lifetime. The way that lie rolls off your fingers like you’re stating a fact is what makes you so jarring, but no one is buying your BS unless it’s fringe rightwing media using you to attack the left. And so what if I’m John Erickson or Someone from City Staff commenting anonymously? It doesn’t change what is being said. In answer to your… Read more »

Reply to  Veto
    1 month ago

First off, RFK’s polling numbers speak for themselves. Now for the spicy part: I never asked for my personal life to be up for discussion, but here we are…so let’s get into it. I don’t think anyone can deny my role in advocating for the victims and survivors of Ed Buck. From organizing press conferences with #MeToo, to showing up at countless protests, hosting flyering events out of my tiny studio apartment warning the neighborhood, speaking with numerous journalists, organizing a town hall on sex worker safety with the City, and attending the trial that was grueling and honestly deeply… Read more »

Last edited 1 month ago by West