Residents in West Hollywood and WeHo-adjacent neighborhoods worked together to form WeHo Neighbors Helping Neighbors–a grassroots group that focuses on serving senior citizens, people with disabilities, those in immunosuppressed households, and other vulnerable residents during the COVID-19 health crisis.
The group’s main focus is to provide connection (using safe practices) and support WeHo neighbors in need via communication by either phone and/or email, which allows members to check-in on those in need. There are also several links to community resources, organizations, news stories, health tips and up-to-date information on COVID-19 on the newly formed Facebook group WeHo Neighbors Helping Neighbors, which launched this past Tuesday, March 17, and already has 75 members as of the posting of this article.
The group was formed by concerned residents, Rebeca Mojica, Amanda Caroline, Keely Field, Terra Naomi Englebardt, Catherine Eng, Jessica Sykes, Jessica Hencier, Marie Keeler, Gregory Rutchik and Sepi Shyne.
“Our hope is that during this time of social distancing that we can provide connection and support to our neighbors in need,” West Hollywood Councilmember hopeful Sepi Shyne, posted on her Facebook Timeline. “Please spread the word about the group to other residents. This is the perfect time for all of us to come together to help our neighbors and to ask for support when needed. Sending lots of positive energy and hope during this difficult time.”
If an individual needs to be checked on from one of the volunteers, they can fill out out a client intake form here:
According to the sign-in sheet, volunteers have the opportunity to do the following:
- Daily 10-15 min phone call check-ins with someone who lives alone (This is primarily what our group will do).
- Daily email check-ins with someone who lives alone.
- Praying over the phone (volunteers are asked to specify religion and any other relevant information).
- Volunteering at a local food bank or other organization that needs assistance.
- Behind-the-scenes operations help for WeHo Neighbors Helping Neighbors (graphic design, helping with scheduling or phone interviews, posting flyers, etc).
For more information on Weho Neighbors Helping Neighbors visit the groups social media outlets: