The owner says his new gay bar is opening soon in the City of West Hollywood. According to Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC), the bar listed at 8737 Santa Monica Boulevard (the former home to Gym Sporstbar), is under the business name Dolly Shine, although the owners say they are not fully committed to that name. The latest update on the bar is that it could open as early as two weeks, city, health and other inspections allowing.
Owner Jay Krymis, the man who also owns Fubar on the eastside of Santa Monica Boulevard, confirmed to WEHO TIMES last December that the new bar is going to be “gay, gay, gay!”
A recent peek inside this past weekend shows the bar is very close to completion. The bar is fully stocked; there is plenty of artwork acknowledging LGBTQ+ history; there are sliding doors that will open the space to Santa Monica Boulevard; and the back wall of the bar is a collage full of magazine covers and news clippings paying homage to LGBT icons.
According to his wife, Michel Verdi Krymis, they were hoping to open for WEHO PRIDE weekend, however too many loopholes, inspections and red tape continues to keep them closed. She hoped to be open by July 4th, but that did not happen either.
Jay says they have one more inspection to go. He hopes he’ll be able to host friends and family before a soft opening, and he says he can’t wait for the grand opening coming soon.
“This new space is going to be a cool, fun, neighborhood bar,” he said. “It’s going to be a chill gay, gay, gay bar. I want to it be a casual and super fun bar. It won’t be sports or down and dirty, which I love at Fubar, but great cocktail at an affordable price kind of place. Nothing high falutin. I want to make it feel like it’s been there for a long time and make it cozy.”
Cozy will be the main ingredient if their ABC liquor license has anything to say about it. The new space has a laundry list of operating restrictions:
- There shall be no amusement machines or video game devices in or on the premises at any time.
- There shall be no pool, billiard or table games of any kind allowed in or on the premises at any time.
- Petitioner(s) shall not require an admission charge or a cover charge, nor shall there be a requirement to purchase a minimum number of drinks.
- Sales, service and consumption of alcoholic beverages shall be permitted only between the hours of (TIME and TIME) each day of the week.
- Entertainment provided shall not be audible beyond the area under the control of the licensee(s) as depicted on the most recently certified ABC-257 and ABC-253.
- There shall be no amplified music or other entertainment permitted in or on the premises at any time. For purposes of this condition, “amplified” shall mean the use of any electric, electronic, or other powered device that may be used or manipulated to control the volume of music or other entertainment.
- No alcoholic beverages shall be consumed on any property adjacent to the licensed premises under the control of the licensee(s) as depicted on the most recently certified ABC-257 and ABC-253.
- The petitioner(s) shall be responsible for maintaining free of litter the area adjacent to the premises over which they have control as depicted on the most recently certified ABC-257 and ABC-253.
- Any graffiti painted or marked upon the premises or on any adjacent area under the control of the licensee(s) shall be removed or painted over within 72 hours of being applied.
- The use of any amplifying system or device is prohibited on patio/terrace/other area, and the use of any such system or device inside the premises shall not be audible outside the premises.
ABC notes that the liquor license transferred successfully last week on July 13, 2022:
Whether it’s called Dolly Shine as listed on ABC, or a different name, the new gay bar promises to open real soon in the city of West Hollywood. Stay tuned.