- Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    - Advertisement -
    HomeNewsEXCLUSIVE: New Sweetwater Bar is Coming to City of West Hollywood

EXCLUSIVE: New Sweetwater Bar is Coming to City of West Hollywood

A new all-inclusive bar and nightclub is coming to the Rainbow District in the City of West Hollywood called Sweetwater (one word). The new nightlife entertainment venue is coming to the corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and San Vicente Boulevard at the former Zpizza and 8oz Poke space owned by Monte Overstreet.

Berni Gambino, the owner of new West Hollywood Bar, SweetWater – WEHO TIMES

Owner Berni Gambino signed a lease yesterday and is already doing the demolition to open the two former businesses into open space that’s roughly 2,000 square feet combined. “I just got the keys yesterday” she told WEHO TIMES. “As you can see, there is a lot that needs to be done, but I’m hoping to be open for Pride. I want it to be a destination. We’re not serving food. It’s going to be a straight up bar, nightclub, dancing, party and a place to have fun. The vision in my head is having two bars on each side and a dance floor in the middle. My birthday is in June, so we’ll see how fast it goes with the permits.”

SweetWater Bar is coming to West Hollywood – WEHO TIMES
    SweetWater Bar is coming to West Hollywood – WEHO TIMES
    SweetWater Bar is coming to West Hollywood – WEHO TIMES

The new business is lesbian owned, but the new Sweetwater bar will be open to everyone. Bernie says she’s been thinking about opening a bar in West Hollywood for roughly two years. She also revealed that she has history in the area. She was a sheriff deputy in West Hollywood before she retired in 2015, so her bar is opening across the street from her former place of employment. She says she looked at several spaces, like the former Flaming Saddles space and she even considered Motherlode back when it was under construction and its future was uncertain.

“I didn’t even know this place was available, and then my broker showed it to me, and I remember thinking this is it,” she said. “It just felt right. We’ve been working on the deal since August. We worked with the landlord, telling him what we plan to do, and how we’re going to do it, and we signed the lease yesterday. It’s going to be a lot of work, but it’s going to be worth it.”

Stay tuned for more updates on the up-and-coming Sweetwater bar in West Hollywood.

5 4 votes
    Paulo Murillo
    Paulo Murillohttps://wehotimes.com
    Paulo Murillo is Editor in Chief and Publisher of WEHO TIMES. He brings over 20 years of experience as a columnist, reporter, and photo journalist. Murillo began his professional writing career as the author of “Love Ya, Mean It,” an irreverent and sometimes controversial West Hollywood lifestyle column for FAB! newspaper. His work has appeared in numerous print and online publications, which include the “Hot Topic” column in Frontiers magazine, where he covered breaking news and local events in West Hollywood. He can be reached at [email protected]

39 COMMENTS

39 Comments: We Want to Hear from You!
    hifi5000
    hifi5000
    6 days ago

This new place,Sweetwater,looks to be a great place.It is not going to be a monster location like Micky’s and The Abbey. 2,000 square feet is just fine where you can keep an eye on stuff.

The new owner is a local person,not some guy who lives on the other side of the world.It looks like she will be present on-site most of the time.I do think she needs to re-think the serving of food.Maybe the inclusion of a bar menu will help keep customers at her place.I suggest partnering with a place such as L.A. Buns which is nearby.

MJR
    MJR
    7 days ago

CONGRATUATIONS… I sure hope it is a great success… Welcome to the neighborhood… You will be a welcome addition to our community.

Kevin
    Kevin
    11 days ago

Congrats and good luck. Glad to have the space occupied again.

TomSmart
    TomSmart
    12 days ago

The very best of luck to you! Can’t wait to check it out!

Zafrank
    Zafrank
    12 days ago

Won’t last give it a few months tops a year will go out of business like the rest the other bars that hardly can stay open with so little of traffic of people coming through Weho also to expensive drinks and food too the locals are enough to
    keep them open daily !

Last edited 12 days ago by Zafrank
    13 days ago

This is great news! I hope someone with better business prowess has power of attorney over that cretin Monte Overstreet. He is truly a disease on this city.

Zafrank
    Zafrank
    Reply to  Weho artist
    12 days ago

Monte a great person a dear friend let’s not hate on others it business so let stay that way Weho great as is !

Reply to  Zafrank
    12 days ago

Sorry, but no. Your friend sucks. He gladly evicted many businesses in the EARLY days of the pandemic.

sadbutrue
    sadbutrue
    13 days ago

LOL Terrible. To many bars already! I do not think the other bars in the immediate area i.e. Roccos, Heart are doing that well that it warrants another need. We need a few restaurants 🙁

Reply to  sadbutrue
    13 days ago

You should open a restaurant then. Better get started!

Kiss it
    Kiss it
    Reply to  sadbutrue
    13 days ago

Well all the bars are doing crappy because all the drinks are $20 ! I was at the Abbey yesterday afternoon and a vodka tonic was $19 they can kiss my ass And my slice of cake was $15 they can kiss my ass again

Mel
    Mel
    Reply to  sadbutrue
    5 days ago

The whole area of WeHo along Santa Monica is struggling and soon to turn out as PCH in Laguna Beaches Gay districts bought out! Pushed out! The Government just bought Gladstones in Malibu and a larger area in WeHo as well. Abbey is no longer what it was and is caught up in what soon will become a multi legal suit not just the ones already in place. The area needs more Quality Resturants that are structured to survive. So many come & go there now days. Look at what has happened to the SF Castro area! Soon our LGBTQ… Read more »

Andy Scheidemann
    Andy Scheidemann
    13 days ago

Yes!!! Im so excited we need more gay nightclubs in weho, im tired of the same lol! Can wait june is also my bday month!!!!

Mike
    Mike
    14 days ago

“she even considered Motherlode back when it was under construction and its future was uncertain” When was this? The Motherlode opened way back in late 1979. I was there for New Years Eve in 79-80. Before Motherlode the space as Rascals. The really only major renovation was to build a smoking/drinking patio in front outside. To see what the bar looked like in 1981, watch “Making Love” with Harry Hamlin. The film was shot in 1981. I remember seeing ads posted inside the bar looking for extras to be in the scenes that were shot inside the Motherlode. Oh, the… Read more »

eyeroll
    eyeroll
    14 days ago

Not sure that we need another bar on the strip, but that looks like a perfect spot for a bar. A lot better than place where you ate a limp greasy slice to sober up after Fiesta.

KoWeho
    KoWeho
    Reply to  eyeroll
    11 days ago

You can still get that pizza on the next block!

Enough!
    Enough!
    14 days ago

Sad to lose two food spots for yet another bar/club. We have enough of those.

Reply to  Enough!
    13 days ago

You’re sad about empty retail spaces getting leased?

Haven’t you been bitching about empty storefronts for awhile now? And this is how you choose to react to someone investing in this city?

Enough!
    Enough!
    Reply to  Weho artist
    12 days ago

Yes I’m very happy that the store fronts won’t be empty. And I wish any new business owner all the success in the world. I do wish however that what was coming into the spaces is what we lost which is places to eat. We have enough bars. So calm down and have a nice day.

Last edited 12 days ago by Enough!
    Reply to  Enough!
    12 days ago

You’ve said repeatedly that you deliberately venture outside of West Hollywood to eat and shop. So I don’t think you patronize any of these businesses whether they do food or alcohol.

Those of us who support local businesses make this community great. You should try it sometime!

Reply to  Weho artist
    12 days ago

Stop fighting with people. You don’t know that he doesn’t support local businesses.

Reply to  Natasha
    12 days ago

Why are you inserting yourself here?

I wouldn’t have said that if I didn’t know.

Jf1/Enough has repeatedly commented they literally DRIVE outside of city limits to eat and shop. I’m not making this up.

Reply to  Weho artist
    11 days ago

Who is Monte Overstreet and why do you hate him so much?

Reply to  Natasha
    11 days ago

Google his name and find out.

Reply to  Weho artist
    7 days ago

Seems like a typical greedy landlord. That being said, he is entitled to receive his rent money. If he has a loan on his properties I doubt the bank told him he doesn’t have to pay them back and I am sure the city and county didn’t let him off the hook for his property taxes. I personally believe rents in WEHO are unsustainable and that is evident by all the “For Rent” signs everywhere. Given high rents, taxes and labor costs it’s just tough to make it as a small business in WEHO especially if you rely on locals… Read more »

Last edited 7 days ago by Natasha
    Kevin
    Kevin
    Reply to  Enough!
    12 days ago

The poke place was awful and Zpizza just moved to the next block. Their new location is really neat. Try getting out.

The Fly
    The Fly
    14 days ago

An “all inclusive bar” I hope it’s mostly gay. Looking forward to it.

eyeroll
    eyeroll
    Reply to  The Fly
    14 days ago

Lol. All the bars in West Hollywood are “all inclusive” these days. Name one mostly gay bar in WeHo.

Reply to  eyeroll
    13 days ago

Literally all of them on that strip are mostly gay. Most of the patrons are gay.

eyeroll
    eyeroll
    Reply to  Weho artist
    13 days ago

Do these gay bars exclude nongays? Exactly. That means they are all inclusive. This new bar owner isn’t going to call her new bar a gay bar, because she knows a lot of her patrons will also be lbtq+. Gay no longer means at it used to mean. And boys town died with the rise of pronouns.

Reply to  eyeroll
    13 days ago

They don’t exclude “nongays” just like dive bars don’t exclude rich housewives. It’s more about what the demographic they’re appealing to.

Reply to  eyeroll
    12 days ago

I hate to break the news to you but WEHO isn’t all gay people. The new expensive restaurants and condos are filled with straight people. The city has become very expensive and it’s only going to get more expensive. Just look at the stores that line Melrose and see who is there shopping and eating. There are gay people and lots of straight people. If you have a problem mixing with straight people you might want to consider moving to a cave.

Reply to  Natasha
    12 days ago

WEHO isn’t all gay people.”

I never said it was? I said the bars with nearly naked men writhing around for tips are definitely targeting the gay demo. What is so fucking hard to understand about that? hmmm?

I’m quite aware West Hollywood is made up of gay people and straight people.

Reply to  Weho artist
    11 days ago

My comment was to eyeroll not to you. Your apology is accepted. I had no issues with your comment.

Last edited 11 days ago by Natasha
    Reply to  Natasha
    11 days ago

My mistake then.

14 days ago

Good luck to her. I hope she makes it. That landlord and real estate agent are notoriously greedy. I am sure she is paying a lot of money for rent.

Rents
    Rents
    Reply to  Natasha
    13 days ago

Yup! Plus she’s taking TWO spaces. Most likely over 20k per month in rent if not more.

Last edited 13 days ago by Rents
    KoWeho
    KoWeho
    Reply to  Rents
    11 days ago

But two small spaces, combined, just 2000 sqft. I would say the rent on this would be around 10k.

Reply to  KoWeho
    11 days ago

Her break even cost is probably at least $2500/day or $17,500/week/$900,000+yr. That doesn’t include the cost for renovating the space or buying any equipment, food, alcohol, taxes, paying herself, etc. That is just rent and labor. It might be even higher depending on how many employees she has. I based that on 6 employees but to run a bar like that probably requires a lot more than 6 people. Bars like Motherlode are open 11 hours a day but I am sure they arrive early and stay late.