The CicLAvia car-free event is is kicking off in the city of West Hollywood tomorrow, Sunday, August 21, 2022. The City of West Hollywood, and the City of Los Angeles neighborhoods of Hollywood and East Hollywood will be open streets for the day from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m..
From WeHo’s inclusive pride crosswalks, to the Hollywood Walk of Fame, everyone is invited to come along for the ride, walk, bike, roll, or stroll along the area’s most iconic streets for CicLAvia—Meet the Hollywoods Presented by Metro. The event will close Santa Monica Boulevard from N. La Brea Avenue to N. San Vicente Boulevard to vehicle traffic and thousands of cyclists will fill the streets.
There will be a kick-off press event a 8:30 a.m. – 9 a.m. at 8791 Santa Monica Blvd., West Hollywood near the intersection of Santa Monica Blvd and Palm Ave.
Kick-Off Press Event Speakers and Guests:
City of West Hollywood
· Mayor Lauren Meister
· Mayor Pro Tempore Sepi Shyne
· Councilmember John D’Amico
· Councilmember John M. Erickson
· Councilmember Lindsey P. Horvath
City of Los Angeles
· Mayor Eric Garcetti
· Councilmember Mitch O’Farrell
· Councilmember Nithya Raman
· Controller Ron Galperin
· Assembly member – Laura Friedman
· Assemblymember – Richard Bloom
· State Senator – Anthony Portantino
LA County Supervisors
· Supervisor Hilda Solis
· Rep. Adam Schiff
The City of West Hollywood invites everyone to attend the CicLAvia car-free event where participants make a day of it in West Hollywood with a long list of events that include the City’s free Summer Sounds Concert Series finale on Sunday, August 21, 2022 at 5 p.m. at Plummer Park, located at 7377 Santa Monica Boulevard, featuring M&M The Afro-Persian Experience. The Afro-Persian Experience is a duo featuring Persian kamancheh master Mehdi Bagheri and artist/percussionist Marcus L. Miller. The music consists of all original compositions created by Bagheri & Miller and is deeply rooted in the traditions of ancient Persia and Africa. Their unique sound results from the natural contrast of their individual musical styles as well as the expression of their passion for the music. This concert is presented in partnership with Grand Performances supported by an arts grant from the City of West Hollywood.
All Hubs will have:
- Free water stations and restrooms
- First Aid stations
- Bike parking
- Free pedicabs – provided by AARP Los Angeles, the pedicabs stop at each Hub’s Info Booth, so just look for the sign and the yellow umbrella! First come first served.
- Free bike repair
There are a lot more activities and goings-on at individual Hubs throughout West Hollywood and along the entire right:
West Hollywood Hubs include:
8800 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood 90069
- Swing by the Metro Bike Share tents at the West Hollywood Hub to learn more about the bike share program, grab a bike and pick up limited-edition swag! Metro Bikes will be available on a first-come, first-served basis at the tent. Skip the line and plan ahead by downloading the Metro Bike Share app to purchase a pass. Don’t forget to tag @bikemetro on social, and always remember to return your Metro Bike to a station or to a Metro Bike Share team member at either Walk of Fame Hub or West Hollywood Hub to end your trip! Get a 30-day pass during CicLAvia weekend (8/20-8/21 only) for just $5 with code BIKECICLAVIA22 in the app and online to keep riding all month
- Stop by the West Hollywood City Clerk’s booth to make sure you’re registered to vote!
- Don’t miss the public art in West Hollywood! Visit two sculptures in the median by Peter Shire, a Los Angeles artist who is most recognized for being a member of the postmodern Italian design group Memphis.
- Visit other City of West Hollywood Department booths to learn about various services, and future planning efforts within the City!
- Bike repair provided by Hollydale Cycling Club
Near the Hub
- The City of West Hollywood takes pride in its public art programs (Art on the Outside and Urban Art) and continues to improve the public realm with temporary and permanent art installations throughout the city. For more information visit: weho.org/arts.
Plummer Park Hub
7377 Santa Monica Blvd, West Hollywood 90046
- Relax in the AARP play zone while catching up over vintage board games. Fun for all ages! They will also have giveaways including their Portraits of Communities Commemorative Tap Cards, backpacks, and bike lights (while supplies last).
- Don’t miss ‘Yolki Palki’ by Los Angeles artist Tanya Brodsky, a collection of brightly colored sculptures that don’t quite work as playground equipment: each one is too tall, too short, missing key elements, or installed at an absurd relationship to the one next to it.
- The entrance to Plummer Park will have a COVID19 Testing Site!
- Enjoy the shade inside of Plummer Park, and stop by the park after CicLAvia at 5 pm to enjoy the City of West Hollywood’s free Summer Sounds Concert series featuring M&M The Afro-Persian Experience.
- Bike Repair Brought to you by Rangels Bicycle Shop
CicLAvia is a nonprofit organization that catalyzes vibrant public spaces, active transportation, and good health through car-free streets. CicLAvia engages with people to transform our relationship with our communities and with each other. Inspired by Bogotá’s weekly ciclovía, CicLAvia temporarily closes streets to car traffic and opens them to Angelenos to use as a public park. Free for all, CicLAvia connects communities to each other across an expansive city, creating a safe place to bike, walk, skate, roll, and dance through Los Angeles County. 1.6 million people have experienced CicLAvia; it is the biggest open streets event in the United States.