“We are happy to announce that Amoeba Hollywood is reopening at our new location at 6200 Hollywood Blvd., on Thursday, April 1st,” reads a statement on the Amoeba website announcing the upcoming reopening of one of the few remaining record stores in Los Angeles.
The massive impact from the COVID-19 pandemic forced the closure of our iconic Hollywood location at 6400 Sunset Blvd. According to a press release, the move to its new location was already in the works before the pandemic forced the store to shut down. The store was open online and still offered the latest releases in music.
The new Amoeba Hollywood is located at the El Centro complex at Hollywood and Argyle, not far from the Pantages Theatre and directly across the street from the Hollywood & Vine stop on the Metro and the 217 bus stops one block west, on Hollywood between Argyle & Vine. The complex has a large, well-managed parking garage and there is validation for the first 75 minutes with any in-store purchase. There is additional parking at meters on all three of the surrounding streets, as well as a few public lots within a short walk.
The record store will follow all health and safety guidelines from local City and County public health departments. This includes social distancing and mandatory wearing of face coverings over the nose and mouth. The store will not be checking bags at the door, so customers are being asked to leave large bags and backpacks in their cars, or at home. Smaller bags will be visually inspected upon exit.
Opening day promises to be packed. There will be a line to enter the store at Argyle Blvd. Customers who have more than 10 items to sell or trade will line up for the buy counter on Hollywood Blvd. Customers with 10 items or less to sell will join the main shopping line. The store is offering a special opening day poster designed by L.A. artist Ivan Minsloff as a gift with purchase in-store only on April 1st (while supplies last).
There will also be live t-shirt silk-screening in the courtyard of the El Centro complex on April 1st starting at 11:30am until 4pm featuring the opening day design by Ivan Minsloff and silkscreened on-site by Family Industries. Customers will pay for their t-shirt at the registers inside Amoeba and then take their voucher outside to the courtyard where Family Industries will silkscreen their commemorative t-shirt. Shirts are $10 and available while supplies last
Safety protocols for the new Amoeba Hollywood are as follows:
Customers and staff must avoid entering the store if they are sick, especially with cough or fever, or have recently tested positive for COVID.
- All customers and staff must wear a face covering or mask over the nose and mouth at all times while in the store.
- There is a limited number of customers allowed in the store at any one time.
- Out of respect for your fellow shoppers, please limit your browsing time and exit promptly after your purchase.
- Please observe physical distancing of six feet from employees and other customers.
- We encourage you to use the provided hand sanitizer upon entering our store. There is also hand sanitizer available in locations around the store.
- We have a limited amount of disposable gloves available to you for browsing upon request.
- There are protective plexiglass shields at our registers and information desk. Please stand behind these shields when being helped and do not touch them.
- Please observe our directional signs.
- Customers who wish to sell or trade will be asked to drop off their product at the buy counter, but will not be permitted to remain there while your offer is being assessed. You may either shop or wait outside and the buyer will contact you when they have finished evaluating your items.
- Our restroom is for employees only at this time due to health department requirements. We’re sorry for any inconvenience.
- The consumption of food and beverages inside the store is not allowed.
- There is no seating available in the store. Parents, please keep young children with you at all times if they cannot be left at home.
- Baskets are sanitized after each customer and we have implemented a surface-cleaning schedule to ensure regular sanitization.
- For customers who are limiting their time in public, please call the store at 323-245-6400 and we can hold your items at the registers for 24 hours. You will still be required to wait in the line to enter the store when you come to purchase your items. If you have any specific questions or needs, please call the store so we can assist you.
The store will have new temporary hours: Monday – Sunday 11am – 8pm (buy counter open 11am – 7pm).