2022 AIDS Walk Los Angeles event is returning to the City of West Hollywood after a seven-year hiatus. The fundraiser organized by APLA Health & Wellness is slated to step off at West Hollywood Park on Sunday, October 16, 2022, at approximately 10 a.m. The City of West Hollywood hosted the annual AIDS Walk Los Angeles event from 2001 to 2015.
Participants of the annual fundraiser will make their way north on San Vicente Boulevard and head east onto Santa Monica Boulevard, at La Cienega Boulevard. The walkers will make a loop and head back west on Santa Monica Boulevard to Doheny Drive, and make another loop back east on Santa Monica Blvd. The route will end in West Hollywood Park where there will be food trucks and music to celebrate the completion of the walk. APLA Health & Wellness anticipates 10,000 participants in this year’s event. The 2.1-mile route is shorter than in previous years.
Since 1985, AIDS Walk Los Angeles has drawn hundreds of thousands of supporters to
walk, and millions more to donate, raising more than $90 million to combat HIV and AIDS
in Los Angeles. The funds raised at the event remain a vital lifeline that sustains APLA
Health & Wellness care, prevention, and advocacy programs for those living with HIV in
Los Angeles County. Proceeds also benefit more than 20 other HIV/AIDS service
organizations that can participate and raise funds through the Community Coalition
At a regular West Hollywood City Council meeting on August 15, 2022, the city council approved Agenda Item 2.S in the consent calendar with the following recommendations:
- Approve a co-sponsorship of the 2022 AIDS Walk Los Angeles event taking place
on Sunday, October 16, 2022, in West Hollywood Park and surrounding streets.
- Approve the street closure of Santa Monica Boulevard between Doheny Drive and La Cienega Boulevard from 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 16, 2022.
- Approve the street closure of San Vicente Boulevard between Melrose Avenue and Santa Monica Boulevard including alleyways from 5:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Sunday, October 16, 2022. The closure will include a 20-foot fire lane to allow for emergency vehicles and Metro buses.
- Approve the use of 50 parking spaces per day in the Five Story Parking Structure for production staff and crew from 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 15, 2022, through 8:00 a.m. on Monday, October 17, 2022.
- Approve the waiver of Building and Safety Permit Fees, Encroachment Permit Fees, Park Facility Use Fees, Parking Meter Fees, Post Event Inspection Fees, Special Event Permit Fees, and Street Closure Fees.
- Authorize the City Manager or his designee to execute documents incident to the Co-Sponsorship Agreement, including a Permit to Use City Property Agreement that defines facility uses, street closures and the terms of the relationship between the City and APLA Health & Wellness.
- Authorize the City Manager or his designee to negotiate additional requests with APLA Health & Wellness.
City Staff will work with event organizers to mitigate public impacts resulting from
the event’s use of City property and continue to monitor and follow all guidelines set by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health related to the pandemic, ensuring that the event producer complies with all current guidelines. The City will reserve the right to modify event guidelines or revoke the right to use city property for the event, should health orders require it.
To register AIDS Walk Los Angeles, click below: